This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non-resident - do I need to declare my Spanish earnings?

LauraS
Non-resident - do I need to declare my Spanish earnings?

Postby LauraS » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 pm

I've had a look through the various topics floating around but I can't find anything that addresses this!

I moved to Spain last summer and have been working part-time here, while letting out my property in the UK. I'm UK domiciled but Spanish tax resident - I've declared my UK income on my Spanish tax return (as well as being taxed at point of payment on my earnings). I'm now starting the process of submitting my UK tax return to give me plenty of time to meet the October deadline (I'm paper based).

I know I need to complete a self-assessment including a supplementary form for my UK property rental income, and also need to complete the SA109 form. However, I'm a bit confused as to whether I need to also submit information on my Spanish earnings as well. After much reading I don't think I do, but just wanted to double check!

Much thanks in advance.

darthblingbling

Re: Non-resident - do I need to declare my Spanish earnings?

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:07 pm

If you are non resident by the rules of the SRT then you do not need to declare your overseas employment earnings.

Be aware that the UK gets first bite of any tax for UK rental income.

Oh and don't forget to claim your personal allowance as for non residents it's not automatic. It's one of the boxes on SA109

LauraS

Re: Non-resident - do I need to declare my Spanish earnings?

Postby LauraS » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Thank you! That's very helpful.

My rental income is way below my personal allowance (even before taxes) so I'm not expecting a bite. The Spanish tax year runs Jan - Dec so they've already had theirs!

Return to “Income Tax”