This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Charitable giving. How to account for

NickPrice
Charitable giving. How to account for

Postby NickPrice » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on my 18-19 Self-assessment. I have a salary and rental income. Combined it puts me slightly into the HR tax bracket by a couple of hundred. However, I had £1100 worth of donations to a charity. How do I account for this, and what impact does this have?

Could any kind soul explain how this works and whether the entire £1100 is to be deducted or only the tax paid on it. Any help would be appreciated.

someone

Re: Charitable giving. How to account for

Postby someone » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:51 am

There is a box in the SA for gift aid.

I'm assuming these donations were made from taxed income.

If you put the number in that box your basic rate band will grow and the tax demanded will fall (or the refund increase)

If these gifts were made from untaxed income (such as via payroll giving) then you must not make a gift aid declaration to the charity and your taxable income will be reduced instead (on your P60) so there is no more tax relief.

NickPrice

Re: Charitable giving. How to account for

Postby NickPrice » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks. It was from taxed income, so first scenario.

Return to “Income Tax”