This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Overseas Company Savings Scheme

BrianY
Overseas Company Savings Scheme

Postby BrianY » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:58 pm

I am looking for some advice please as a possible returning expat.

I have worked for a Middle East company for 12 years that operates a savings scheme, which is referred to in my contract as both “Pension Scheme” and “a contributory Retention Plan”. I have 3% of my salary deducted each month and the company adds 4%. This goes to a savings account which receives interest. I am assuming my 3% comes from the net salary after tax has been paid but this is unclear on my pay slip.

I am taxed in the overseas country and the inland revenue is aware of my status as a long term expat. I fill in a UK tax return yearly for just my UK income, which comes from a house let and savings interest that comes to just below the personnel allowance so usually I am tax free.

At some point I will leave the company and the accumulated fund may be in the region of 80,000 GBP. If I returned the money to the UK would I be liable to pay tax on any of it.

Thanks very much.
Brian

Return to “Income Tax”