This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

PAYE to Sole Trader

b4ugogo
PAYE to Sole Trader

Postby b4ugogo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi I have gone employed PAYE to a sole trader mid tax year (2018/19) and i am using the cash basis accounting as my money all comes in a service based business.

My question is how to account for the car I own? - as PAYE i received mileage allowance as I owned the car outright ( I claimed 10,000 miles at 45p), going forward I do need a car for business use but use a lot less miles probably 4000 per year & 4000 personal per year. The cars value is around £8000, insurance £400 and servicing and repairs were £1000.

Do I still need to use the mileage allowance system for the remainder of the tax year?

I'm I able to use the current value of the car as an expense? would I have to wait to the next tax year?

darthblingbling

Re: PAYE to Sole Trader

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:09 am

Claim 45p per mile as a deduction from your taxable income. 25p per mile if for business miles over 10,000

robbob

Re: PAYE to Sole Trader

Postby robbob » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:42 am

Do I still need to use the mileage allowance system for the remainder of the tax year?
Nope you have the normal choice available between using 45/25p a mile or using actual expenses. Note you must stick with your choice until you change cars - so if you crunch the numbers do it over the expected time left that you will own that car.
I'm I able to use the current value of the car as an expense? would I have to wait to the next tax year?
If you use actual expenses for the cars then you use the current market value - all that happens year one is that your writing down allowance claim will be reduced pro rata so the claim is only for the % of a full year that your first accounting period is for.

Return to “Income Tax”