This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Assessment Income TAX Partner or me

grantmcscott
Self Assessment Income TAX Partner or me

Postby grantmcscott » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:43 am

Hi
We are currently setting up a small holding and my partner will be working on it full time next March. Currently she is registered for self assessment and VAT. As we are starting out there is a lot of expenses buy equipment and animals etc so we are making a loss.

I am a 40% (my partner is on a low income and hardly pays tax) tax payer. I was wondering would it be more tax efficient if I registered as the sole trader of the farm and for VAT. As there is a loss would this be more TAX efficient for me?

thanks for any advise

someone

Re: Self Assessment Income TAX Partner or me

Postby someone » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:41 am

I think this can be done but possibly needs professional advice to make sure it's done correctly.

I suspect you might have to have a partnership (but I could be talking utter bollocks)

Hopefully one of the other commentators will be along shortly.

What you cannot do is just pick and choose who gets the expenses and who gets the profits and, most especially, cannot do it 'after the fact' because it works out better for you.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Read this carefully:https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim85601

Hobby farmers get no loss relief.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

grantmcscott

Postby grantmcscott » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Read this carefully:https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim85601

Hobby farmers get no loss relief.
Think I need professional advise on what I can do

thanks

Return to “Income Tax”