This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving to Netherlands - Own UK property - Tax implications?

Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:03 am

Moving to Netherlands - Own UK property - Tax implications?

Postby boxrick » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:26 pm

I have a job offer in the Netherlands and will be moving before Brexit day hits us at the end of October.

Simply put I will have a full time job and be paying full local taxes. However I have a couple of small concerns:

Every year I fill in a self employed tax return and I often have profits of up to ~£6000 per year which is for the rental of the house I used to live in and jobs for random companies which will likely continue.

If I am full time resident of another country, will I continue to receive my 11k a year tax free allowance?
If I am still receiving a small income from the UK but not living here, how will that affect my UK pension since I have only been paying national insurance for about 15 years, but I am hoping my small income in the UK will continue to cover the required minimum payments?

Any help is appreciated!

Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Moving to Netherlands - Own UK property - Tax implications?

Postby jason13 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:37 pm

You'll continue to receive the personal allowance if you're a UK or EEA citizen.

You can pay voluntary national insurance contributions while abroad. Please read leaflet NI37 on the details and the form you have to fill out:

You probably have to sign up for the non-resident landlord scheme. Your rental income will probably fall within your personal allowance in the UK but you'll also have to declare it in the Netherlands.

Return to “Income Tax”