This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gifts from abroad

Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:52 pm

Gifts from abroad

Postby Nailuj » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:17 pm

I have understood from the web gifts from abroad are not considered as foreign income, however I would still like some advice based on my specific case.
I am EU national and I started working in the UK, where I live, last year. I only have this job and my employer pays my taxes through PAYE.
I have a pre-paid card in my country (it is not a bank account, and I am not paid any interests on it), where only my parents send some money to help me pay my student loan off. I usually move this money to my UK bank account through an online currency exchange service, as it is cheaper than an international bank transfer from my parent's account.
So, should I declare it to HMRC?
Thank you in advance

Posts: 4448
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Gifts from abroad

Postby pawncob » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:37 pm

No. there's no UK tax due on gifts.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”