This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New Computer Tax Deductible?

SH88
New Computer Tax Deductible?

Postby SH88 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:59 am

Hello.
I'm registered as a sole trader and file a Tax Return every year.
This is the first year I will be purchasing a new Laptop to use solely for my self employment, as well as some software licenses.

When filing my Tax Return, can I deduct the full value of these items?
Or is it calculated somehow?

It's been a while since I completed the last return and can't remember whether or not there was a section for it, or how it was calculated.
Do I just deduct the full cost of these items from my taxable income?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Jholm

Re: New Computer Tax Deductible?

Postby Jholm » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:12 am

Claim as capital allowances and put the full amount in as Annual Investment Allowances. It will give you the full deduction as if you claim as a regular expense.

This assumes you expect to use the PC and software for a number of years, which I imagine you would.

SH88

Re: New Computer Tax Deductible?

Postby SH88 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Claim as capital allowances and put the full amount in as Annual Investment Allowances. It will give you the full deduction as if you claim as a regular expense.

This assumes you expect to use the PC and software for a number of years, which I imagine you would.
So I would be claiming the full amount in that one year?

Also, in a related question. I have annual software licenses and monthly software licenses too.
Are these be considered expenses?

I may be confusing everything I've read in the last few days.
I thought I could claim back a new business laptop and all software off the total of taxable income.

For example,
Taxable Earnings are £30,000
Laptop is £1000
Annual Software £500
Monthly Software Total £500

Earnings - Purchased = £28,000 = New Taxable Earnings.

Sorry I'm still getting my head around the terminology used.
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Return to “Income Tax”