This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Personal Allowance

logistic
Personal Allowance

Postby logistic » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Would this plan be valid ? My two grandsons are 16 and 13 respectively and are at a fee paying school. In due course they will go on to university. To ease the financial burden on their parents, I envisage purchasing a property in the boy’s names that will attract a substantial rent. As the boys would be the owners and landlords of the property and receive the rent, we anticipate that their tax free personal allowance will amply cover the tax liability on the rent received; this would make be a significant contribution to their education right through to university graduation.

As they will not begin to earn until they are in their twenties it means that tax on the rent would be covered for several years. I appreciate that my gift would be subject to the 7 year rule, but I am young enough for this to be only a minor risk. We are also aware that an adult would need to participate in holding the property until the elder boy is 18

My main concern is to be sure that this arrangement will not be successfully challenged by HMRC as tax evasion when their self-assessments are submitted. Currently their combined personal allowances would be £25,000 yearly,

strawn

Re: Personal Allowance

Postby strawn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:02 pm

"my gift would be subject to the 7 year rule, but I am young enough for this to be only a minor risk."

It would be even more minor if you bought life insurance.

Who is going to manage the property?

Why is a property a better bet than an investment portfolio? Especially as it would be far simpler for the boys to have a separate portfolio each.
Unwinding a house owned jointly could be a pain in the pinny.

"challenged by HMRC as tax evasion": I don't see how. A gift is a gift as long as it is not a gift with reservation of benefits.

Return to “Income Tax”