This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bank Interest

Dnomyar
Bank Interest

Postby Dnomyar » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:06 pm

I received a letter from my bank in December 2018 telling me that they had failed to notify me of changes to my savings account since October 2014 and were paying into my account some additional interest calculated as the additional interestI may have been expecting to earn during the periods they believe I may not have been fully informed. they go on to state that the interest has been paid gross. No reference is made to this payment in the annual summary of interest I received from them for the 2018/19 tax year. Do I declare this additional interest in my 2018/19 tax return?

Jholm

Re: Bank Interest

Postby Jholm » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Declare it in the year it was received, so assuming they paid it before 5/4/19, then yes...2018/19.

maths

Re: Bank Interest

Postby maths » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:49 pm

On the basis that what is received is "interest" then it is taxable in the tax year of receipt.

In one case from the distant past I believe the judge said "receivability with receipt is nothing".... or some such phrase.

Return to “Income Tax”