This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

First Self Assessment, Help?

andyboy123
First Self Assessment, Help?

Postby andyboy123 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi all,

I will be filling in my first tax return soon for 2 rental properties i bought last year, i have filled in the details online but i feel i have done them incorrectly as the tax calculation at the end is way above what i thought it would be. If anyone has a few minutes could they tell me if this is correct, obviously i only need to know a approx ball park figure.

I earnt £40,000 in the year from my job. (of which tax is taken off by my company when i get my pay slips)
I also had £7,000 of rental income of which £4,125 is taxable income according to the estate agent statements (there were a lot of repairs needed).

My workings out told me the tax to pay would be no more than £1000 as i am still within the 20% threshold, however the calculation on the government tax website stated it was over £2500 which suggests i entered it incorrectly, if anyone could clear this up it would be greatly appreciated and i can then get a accountant to sort it for me.

Regards
Andy

darthblingbling

Re: First Self Assessment, Help?

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:14 am

How much tax was withheld from your employer?

Return to “Income Tax”