This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income in Britain taxed in Germany?

Kruemel
Income in Britain taxed in Germany?

Postby Kruemel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi All

First time (and perhaps only) question

I am a German national living and working in UK
And I saw a great job advertised that I want to go for. Main snag - the bottom of the job description says"Salary will be taxable in Germany unless you are a UK citizen and do not also hold German citizenship"

How can that work? If I got the job and pay tax in Germany,would I remain eligible for NHS etc?

thanks in advance for your consideration

Kruemel

AGoodman

Re: Income in Britain taxed in Germany?

Postby AGoodman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:44 am

It will likely work on the basis that you will be taxed in both countries but hopefully be able to set off one country's tax against the other's on the basis of either domestic law ("unilateral relief") or the double tax treaty between the two countries.

Effectively you would be paying the highest rate of the two countries. There could be some additional cost in relation to national insurance and, say, German church taxes etc.

It's impossible to say how this exact scenario works (and whether it does work like this) without knowing about your circumstances, the job and the employer

If interested in the job you should definitely talk to them about the tax arrangements and ensure you take some proper advice

Return to “Income Tax”