This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How to report Spanish dividend on UK Tax Return

Anicetry
How to report Spanish dividend on UK Tax Return

Postby Anicetry » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:58 pm

Can anyone explain to me how I have to account for my 2 figure dividend from IAG (British Airways) on my Tax Return, and what other obligations I have in relation to it?

For a start, I am assuming that it goes on the Foreign Pages, as the company is based in Spain and the dividend was taxed and paid in Euros – though converted to sterling before I received it.

1 – The Foreign Pages request “income ...before tax” (column B) and details of tax deducted. According to the IAG dividend Tax Voucher, “Spanish Withholding Tax of 19%" was deducted at source. But is that equivalent to “Foreign Tax” (column C) or “Special Withholding Tax” (column D)?

2 – According to the “SPANISH TAX INFORMATION ON DIVIDENDS FOR IAG UK RESIDENT SHAREHOLDERS” notes on the IAG website, I am a ‘Qualifying shareholder’, and it says:

A Qualifying shareholder may wish to claim exemption and/or a reduced withholding tax rate in Spain under the UK-Spain Treaty on dividends received from IAG.

It goes on:

A refund is claimed by filing a Form 210 and complying with the associated formalities.

But adds:

A Qualifying shareholder will generally need to appoint a tax representative in Spain to submit the Form 210 on their behalf. A fee will normally be payable for this and any associated services

Given that the tax deducted amounts to less than £20, there is clearly no incentive to claim a refund (which would only be partial anyway), so my feeling is sod that for a lark. I’m inclined to give that particular bit of Spanish red tape a miss. However, the notes also say:

If a Qualifying Shareholder does not claim a refund of Spanish withholding tax when entitled to do so, the Qualifying shareholder may be unable to claim a credit for that Spanish withholding tax against any UK tax liability arising on the dividends to which the Spanish withholding tax related.

Does this mean I should not be putting an ‘X’ in column E to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief?

etf

Re: How to report Spanish dividend on UK Tax Return

Postby etf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:25 am

As the amount of your foreign dividend is small (up to £300), take a read of the tax return guidance notes for box 6 on page TRG 6. This may provide an alternative reporting method that will avoid you having to complete the foreign pages.

Anicetry

Postby Anicetry » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks for replying. Sorry, I should have said – I have to fill out the Foreign Pages due to other foreign income.

Anicetry

Postby Anicetry » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:33 am

I resorted to calling the HMRC self-assessment Helpline in the end. And the upshot is:

1 – It's the usual problem of nomenclature. What Spain and IAG describe as Withholding Tax, HMRC call Foreign Tax, so it goes in column C.

2 – I was told that even if I am not applying to Spain for a (partial) tax refund, I should still put an ‘X’ in column E to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief. The implication was that when the sums were done by HMRC, it would be obvious from the figures that the full 19% tax had been deducted.

I'm usually hesitant about ringing HMRC as almost invariably no technician is available and I have to wait "up to 48 hours" for a callback. However, on this occasion I was put through to someone pretty promptly. So worth doing.

Return to “Income Tax”