This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

What options do I have as I return to the UK?

smilley
What options do I have as I return to the UK?

Postby smilley » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Hello All,

Really appreciate if someone can offer any guidance for my situation.

I left UK 6 years ago to go to UAE (tax free) and registered as a non-UK resident. While there I moved all my UK pensions into a QROPS fund (in Gibraltar). Then most recently I moved from UAE to Canada in the last year (paying Canadian tax).

I am about to return to the UK.

I need to liquidate/crystalize the whole fund approx GBP300K. I am 56 yrs and I need the money to buy a house.

When I return I will re-register back as a UK resident and get a job. I am unsure what type of mortgage that I could get (if this is an option to keep my tax exposure a low as possible)?

What are my options to keep my tax exposure to a minimum?

Do I have any options other than to pay tax on that whole amount?

Appreciate any ideas or recommendations on the best way forward to keep tax exposure to a minimum? Thanks in advance.

Return to “Income Tax”