This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

tax for non resident

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:41 am

tax for non resident

Postby marksteggles » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:13 am


I was living in the US for the whole of tax year 2018-2019 but I am back now. On my tax return do I just put 0 for income?

Thanks for your help

Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Re: tax for non resident

Postby AnthonyR » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:17 am

If you were in the UK for less than 16 days in the tax year (ie from 6 April 2018- 5 April 2019), or were working full time abroad and in the UK for less than 91 days (and working for less than 31 days) then you are automatically non-resident. If you were in the UK for more than that then you'll need to review the rules for non-residency.

If you are non-resident it means that you are only taxable on your UK source income. If you had no UK source income then you don't need to include anything on your tax return (assuming you need to file one) other than the non-residence sections confirming that you were non-resident. You don't need to include your non-UK income on a tax return if you were non-resident in the year.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP

Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: tax for non resident

Postby DavidTreitel » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:23 am

You will need to file a US return for 2018 and 2019 - the kind of income and assets to be reported will depend on your US visa category.

Return to “Income Tax”