This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buy to rent tax

and12345
Buy to rent tax

Postby and12345 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello!
I want to buy flat for renting it (buy-to-let) and I understood that the tax from the renting income will be my marginal rate of tax.
I am a contractor and I work through my own limited company (I am the director). My monthly salary is £1000 and I also receive dividends of £4000 monthly.
So if I rent the flat for £1000 - how much (roughly) tax will I pay?
If I change my monthly salary to just 0, and add £1000 to the dividends, will this change the picture?
Thanks in advance.

darthblingbling

Re: Buy to rent tax

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:53 pm

Rent will come before dividends in the tax calculation. So likely either 20% or nothing if you opt to take no salary as it will be within the personal allowance.

Do you need £6000 a month to cover your living costs?

Return to “Income Tax”