This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Query

CamFox
Tax Query

Postby CamFox » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to check if my wife and I decided to live in my parents 2nd property (not main residence) rent free would this have any tax implications on them or ourselves? They are retired.

Many thanks

pawncob

Re: Tax Query

Postby pawncob » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:45 pm

None at all.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

AnthonyR

Re: Tax Query

Postby AnthonyR » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:28 am

The only thing that might change is if you own your current home. Usually your main residence is exempt from capital gains tax. If you then moved out and stayed in your parents property for more than 18 months (9 months from April next year) then capital gains will start to accrue on your current main residence. If you don't currently own your home then there's no impact.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”