This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EIS relief claim for the previous tax year without EIS3 form?

Bizman
EIS relief claim for the previous tax year without EIS3 form?

Postby Bizman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:42 am

I've invested in a EIS-eligible scheme (EIS fully granted by HMRC) in November 2019. I've been told (by the large, reputable investment firm) it will take a few months for me to get my EIS3 form and that's common for such investments.

However, I wish to claim my EIS tax relief for the previous tax year, for which I filed my self-assessment in January 2019.

It goes without saying I can’t add the details of the EIS tax-relief eligible investment to the “other information” section of my self-assessment tax form for the previous tax year as obviously that was completed and submitted a long time ago (in January 2019).

At least five websites I’ve studied all state example the same thing: the way to reclaim for a previous tax year is to fill out pages 3 and 4 of the EIS3 form e.g.:

“If you have been issued an EIS3 certificate for shares issued in the previous tax year and have already filed a tax return, you can complete the form on page 3 of the certificate ticking “Tax Relief for a previous year”, tear off this page and send it to HMRC, who will process this claim and which may result in a rebate.”

I assume the deadline for claiming for the previous tax year is very close, 31.01.20. I won't get my EIS3 form by then. Therefore what can I do please?

Thanks for your help.

Bizman

Re: EIS relief claim for the previous tax year without EIS3 form?

Postby Bizman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:51 am

Just to confirm, the investment company I've used have emphasised it is perfectly normal and acceptable to go ahead with my tax relief claim even without the EIS3 form having been issued, as the investment has been EIS approved by HMRC.

Return to “Income Tax”