This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

how to prove they are not being truthful

benny213
how to prove they are not being truthful

Postby benny213 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:07 pm

I sent in my 2016 / 2017 tax return at the end of march 2018, my husband was doing it online on the last day of January, but he was ill with Pneumonia, so missed the deadline, we then had to send a paper return in, about june or july because we had not received our tax bill, we contacted the tax office, they said they had received it and gave the date they received it, in december 2019, they sent the tax bill for 2016/2017 plus interest, I was upset because they charged interest even though they were so late doing the calculation, but a week later they sent me a fine for £1200.00 My husband said I should request a Sar which I did , but it is not showing our comunication when I contacted them, It looks to me like some one put our return in a drawer or something and just found it, I really do no know what to do, I have written to them after receiving the sar, which was over 30 days as I was waiting for this in the hope it would have all the information I needed to prove they received it in April, Yes I was a couple of months after the January deadline , but surly it should not be this amount, any advice on what I can do,

AGoodman

Re: how to prove they are not being truthful

Postby AGoodman » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:13 am

I did not entirely understand your message. HMRC were slow, yes, but I'm not sure where you think they were untruthful. I think you are saying:

- you submitted a paper return in March 2018
- HMRC received it in April 2018
- HMRC confirmed receipt in a June 2018 phone call
- HMRC sent you a calculation in December 2019 for tax and (presumably) nearly 2 years of interest
- you only paid in December 2019 when you received this calculation
- they also sent a penalty for £1,200.

The deadline for paper applications or if you want HMRC to calculate the tax for you is 31 October after the year end. After that, I think you are meant to calculate it yourself (not easy I know) or in any case a paper filing in June the following year would be 8 months late.

It would be helpful if you could explain:

1. Is this just about your tax return or your husband's tax return (or both)?
2. Did you submit your return in March 2018 online or hard copy?
3. If online, did you not get an electronic acknowledgement and calculation?
4. What was the penalty said to be for? There should be a breakdown. It could be:
- late submission of the return (and if so, how late)
- late payment (and if so, how late); or
- both?

Return to “Income Tax”