This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dividends taxation for non residents.

Dan199018
Dividends taxation for non residents.

Postby Dan199018 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi

I have a client who is a non resident, who has a company registered in the UK. They only have dividend income from UK sources.

From my reading it is my understanding that there is two options here :-

1/- Claim the personal allowance & have UK income taxed at appropriate rates.

2/- Don't claim the personal allowance & instead the investment income (dividends) will be treated as disregarded income & it would therefore not be taxable at any level of dividends declared.

Option 2 however does not apply to investment income connected to a trade in the UK through a permanent establishment.

My questions are :-

1/- Does the fact it is their own company affect the above options in anyway

2/- Would they fall under the permanent establishment caveat. I don't believe they would, as they are not just a UK resident company because of this fact, the company is actually a UK registered company as previously stated.

Thanks

maths

Re: Dividends taxation for non residents.

Postby maths » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:13 pm

1. No

2. No

Return to “Income Tax”