This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

DPS penalty

Tom7000
DPS penalty

Postby Tom7000 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:04 pm

A landlord paid the deposit to the DPS 3 days late. Tenant found out and appointed lawyers that came after the landlord. He settled with the tenant by paying £8k and had to pay his own lawyers £2.5k. ( Not happy as they trashed his flat when they moved out too)

When I do his rental accounts to go in his tax return are the two figures 8+2.5 above allowable expenses for tax?

I am thinking probably not but dont know for certain and at 40% tax....

cheers

Tom

maths

Re: DPS penalty

Postby maths » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:16 pm

What is the £8k payment for? Breach of contract as between landlord and tenant? Breach of trust? Compensation for what?

Presumably not a fine by DPS?

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:22 am

Maths - if the landlord doesn't pay the deposit to the scheme on time they can (and will) order him to repay the tenant x times the deposit where (I think) x is between 1 and 3. Either this was a big deposit or the authority really did not like the landlord!

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:26 pm

Fines imposed by statutory bodies are rarely allowable.(unless by concession)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Tom7000

Postby Tom7000 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:18 pm

The deposit was £5k. London Flat.
The lawyer said if it ends up in court the judge can do 3x 5k = 15.
Offer 8k because even if you win and get 1x you will have to pay £3k+ legal fees anyway...

So it was the compensation paid to the tenant under DPS rules

maths

Postby maths » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:42 pm

Difficult to see how either amount could be said to be "wholly and exclusively" incurred.

Difficult to see how the monies could be said too have been incurred to preserve the capital of the property business (if so, then would be deductible).

Return to “Income Tax”