This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SEIS Question (supply services to company I invested in)

Albychu
SEIS Question (supply services to company I invested in)

Postby Albychu » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:31 am

Hey there,

I have a scenario I wanted to run by the smart minds here.

I am in the process of making a £50,000 -> £100,000 into my sisters company, which has SEIS approval.

I am a web developer/designer (but I charge my services through a LTD company), and she wants to use my company to supply her company with services.

My question is, if I invest via SEIS and claim the income tax relief, and she then pays my company (I am the sole employee) to build her the website and manage the technology - will HMRC clawback the relief? And will they see as a ‘connected party’ to my sisters company? Even though I will own then 25% of her company, and it will be my business that is the supplier to her company.

Thanks in advance, and appreciate this may be a little tricky to answer.

Thanks

Alby

jerome.lane

Re: SEIS Question (supply services to company I invested in)

Postby jerome.lane » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:15 am

Brothers and sisters are not counted as associates for SEIS purposes. Reasonable commercial payment for services provided by a company you control should not be construed as an arrangement to allow you to benefit from the SEIS company. Therefore I think you should take comfort that anti avoidance provisions should not apply provided everything is done on an arms length basis.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “Income Tax”