This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

25% tax free pension lump sum declaration

qaboos5136
25% tax free pension lump sum declaration

Postby qaboos5136 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:38 pm

I retired in late 2018 and opted to take 25% tax free from each of my 2 occupational pensions. The remainder of the pension pot I invested partly in a long term investment and partly in a drawdown annuity which provides me with a monthly income which is taxed at source.

Do I need to declare the tax free lump sums and the sums invested in the annuity and long term investment in my 2018-19 tax returns. If yes, where in the returns would this be asked?

Thanks
Norman

sentinell

Re: 25% tax free pension lump sum declaration

Postby sentinell » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:37 am

I would say no.

The tax-free lump sums are tax-free, so is irrelevant. So is the monthly income taxed at source, as it has already been taxed.

You don't have to declare investments. Only income from investments. So, unless you are receiving income from your long term investment, you don't need to declare anything.

Return to “Income Tax”