This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK rental income Non-resident landlord

qaboos5136
UK rental income Non-resident landlord

Postby qaboos5136 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:12 pm

I have had a rented property since 2005 and have duly declared rental income in my tax returns up to March 2018. In April 2018 I left UK to work abroad where I am paid in local currency and pay local taxes.
I continue to get rental income from my UK property of £17000. The property is also mortgaged to a UK bank and I continue to make monthly mortgage payments. I received a mortgage statement for tax year 2018-19 which stated total loan interest of £1466.

In making my 2018-19 tax returns the allowable loan interest in box 26 of the Returns is automatically HALVED , i.e. £733 and HMRC states that I should enter the remaining 50% of the loan interest in 'Residential finance costs not included in loan interest and other finance costs'. Where in the tax returns is this as I cannot see this specific box. Is this correct as I believe I am a standard rate tax payer. Also mention that I still receive UK companies dividends and savings interest from UK banks, these I held when I was working in UK prior to April 2018.

Thanks
Norman

maths

Re: UK rental income Non-resident landlord

Postby maths » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:35 pm

The rules for deduction of finance costs were changed effective April 2017.

For tax year 18/19 only 50% of finance costs (includes interest) are allowable as a "full" tax deduction with the balancing 50% of such costs being relievable at 20% as a tax reduction.

See Supplementary Page SA 105 "UK Property" for completion; see Box 26 "Allowable loan...." and Box 44 "Residential finance costs".

Return to “Income Tax”