This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Updating tax code online

someone
Updating tax code online

Postby someone » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:43 pm

Hi,

I've just made a one off contribution into my SIPP (to beat any changes in the 11th March budget) which means that I will now overpay tax in the 2019/20 tax year.

I went online to try to update my tax code to (try to) get this back via my end-march payslip but I cannot see any way to change this online.

Am I being blind or is calling HMRC really the only way to change this? There were some things that could be updated but nothing that looked like a pension contribution. (I don't normally have any tax coding for pension as all my normal pension contributions are made via my employer scheme and my SIPP usually has no contributions so this is a new item in my tax code rather than a change to an existing one)

Ringing HMRC just isn't practical for me - so otherwise I'll just have to get the refund when I do my tax return after April - but I prefer to hold off on submitting my return as sometimes it can turn out to be useful to carry back gift aid contributions later in the year and that cannot be done once the tax return is first submitted.

jerome.lane

Re: Updating tax code online

Postby jerome.lane » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:43 pm

You would have to call HMRC for this; if your tax return isn't complicated and HMRC can broadly verify the numbers involved, then you might get the repayment without submitting your tax return early. I wouldn't rely on HMRC processing it early though. You could always accelerate the timing of your likely gift aid donation and submit your return safe in knowledge that further gift aid donations should reduce the tax you pay with the next return.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

JRG

Re: Updating tax code online

Postby JRG » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:12 am

Just submit your tax return after the end of the 2019/20 tax year and you’ll get a tax rebate.

Return to “Income Tax”