This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

company car or allowance

pmworthy

Postby pmworthy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:07 am

I run a small business and i have 3 company cars which staff drive.

They typically do 30K business miles and run a nice car!

I am constantly getting asked about whats best for them.....currently we pay @ £350 pcm contrcat hire for vehile, its valued at either 18K or 27K and fuel is some £300 a car pcm.

would we all benefit if i paid them £400 pcm allowance & say 20p per mile....totalling about £900 pcm.

ian.wright@beechams.

Postby ian.wright@beechams. » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:46 am

Your question is more complext than you think with many variables and a long calculation.

It would involve on the part of the company, the cost of petrol, insurance, tax relief, tax/nic due and all other cost and reliefs due.

On the employee side you would have to way up cost of financing a car, fuel, tax, insurance, tax saving, tax costs, depreciation, fuel rates.

A rather long complex calculation is needed showing the pros and cons and I suggest you contact your accountant or 'P11D completer' to attend to the task.

You can of course seek assistance elsewhere.

Regards

Ian Wright

Return to “Income Tax”