This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Ltd Company Dividend Payment Invested in Stock Market

EchoTaxHelp
Ltd Company Dividend Payment Invested in Stock Market

Postby EchoTaxHelp » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:25 pm

Hi, I am the sole share-holder in a very small private Ltd company. There is some spare cash sitting in the company bank account that I would like to invest in the stock market as a personal investor. If I extract the money (as a dividend payment) straight into a share dealing account and use it to buy shares..am I only liable to capital gains tax (+ income tax if the companies I invest in pay dividends themselves); or do I have to pay personal income tax on the original dividend payment first too ?

AGoodman

Re: Ltd Company Dividend Payment Invested in Stock Market

Postby AGoodman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:06 pm

You have to pay income tax on the dividend

EchoTaxHelp

Re: Ltd Company Dividend Payment Invested in Stock Market

Postby EchoTaxHelp » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks for the response. Feels like I am paying tax three times (corporation text, income tax and then capital gain tx) but that's life I guess!

Return to “Income Tax”