This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Mileage Allowance Relief

kenjoh
Mileage Allowance Relief

Postby kenjoh » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:18 pm

Hello All,

Newbie here, please accept my apologies if this subject has been covered elsewhere. I have searched Mileage Allowance Relief but not found an answer.

Tax year 2019/2020, I changed role for my employer which involved me travelling over a large proportion of the country using my own vehicle.

I have kept detailed records of the business trips undertaken and the expenses I have been paid, in accordance with the Mileage Allowance Relief scheme, resulting in a claim which is over £ 2,500 so I have to register for self assessment to make the claim.

So following the advice on the gov.uk website, I used the url below to register for self assessment.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-not-self-employed

However, when the process asked me to check an appropriate box, I did not meet any of the requirements and my registration failed.

1. I am not a company director

2. I do not receive income from land or property

3. I am not receiving taxable foreign income

4. I do not receive annual income from a trust or settlement

5. My annual income will not exceed £ 100,000

6. I do not have untaxed income which can not be coded

So my question is -

How do i, as an employee register for self assessment

Thank you in advance

KenJoh

robbob

Re: Mileage Allowance Relief

Postby robbob » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:53 pm

It's kind of hidden at the bottom of the form but there is the section that says "any other reason" you enter your other reason in the text box and i would recommend entering the date as 6/4/2019 if you want to claim expensed for tax year ended 5/4/2020. Any date between 6/4/2019 and 5/4/2020 should suffice. Note hmrc are prone to issuing tax returns for a year before the year you have requested so check your hmrc online account when your utr is issued to ensure they only issue the return that you need.

Return to “Income Tax”