This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Medical insurance benefit in kind

William123@
Medical insurance benefit in kind

Postby William123@ » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:36 pm

Hello everyone, I am a newbie to this forum...

I used to work for a company last year that provided me with medical insurance. This was as I understand a benefit in kind. The yearly premium was therefore taxable.
I have now recently joined a new company and they provide medical insurance also. They have told me that my medical insurance is taxed at source.

Does this essentially mean I can inform HRMC that I shouldn’t be paying tax on any medical insurance again if I have to do a self assessment?

Thank you

robbob

Re: Medical insurance benefit in kind

Postby robbob » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:50 am

Does this essentially mean I can inform HRMC that I shouldn’t be paying tax on any medical insurance again if I have to do a self assessment?
To be safe i would always recommend asking your employer for form p11d or confirmation there is no form p11d if you have any doubts. the p11d confirms exactly what your empoloyer has submitted to hmrc and the total you shpould enter on your tax return - or quesry with your employer asap if you don't agree with the figure.

If you are taxed at source (this should be evident on you payslip that yoru taxable pay is increased by the benefit amount) then there should be nil value on p11d or there won't be a p11d and you can therefore contact hmrc and get any adjustment removed from your coding and there will be nothing to deeclare on yoyur tax return as the correct tax has already been paid.

robbob

Postby robbob » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:52 am

To be safe i would always recommend asking your employer for form p11d or confirmation there is no form p11d if you have any doubts. the p11d confirms exactly what your empoloyer has submitted to hmrc and the total you should enter on your tax return - or quesry with your employer asap if you don't agree with the figure they have given you.

If you are taxed at source (this should be evident on you payslip that your taxable pay is increased by the benefit amount) then there should be nil value on p11d or there won't be a p11d provided and you can therefore contact hmrc and get any adjustment removed from your coding and there will be nothing to declare on your tax return as the correct tax has already been paid.

robbob

Postby robbob » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:52 am

To be safe i would always recommend asking your employer for form p11d or confirmation there is no form p11d if you have any doubts. the p11d confirms exactly what your empoloyer has submitted to hmrc and the total you should enter on your tax return - or quesry with your employer asap if you don't agree with the figure they have given you.

If you are taxed at source (this should be evident on you payslip that your taxable pay is increased by the benefit amount) then there should be nil value on p11d or there won't be a p11d provided and you can therefore contact hmrc and get any adjustment removed from your coding and there will be nothing to declare on your tax return as the correct tax has already been paid.

Return to “Income Tax”