This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving back to UK but still working abroad...

Gingey
Moving back to UK but still working abroad...

Postby Gingey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi all,

Shortly I’m planning on making an escape from Dubai back to the UK. Been here the last 4 years and yeah it’s good but now things have changed (COVID-19 to blame), now a young family here and instead of the lovely office I was working in they have sent me back offshore which is not good on my family with me being away all the time.

I’ve been given an opportunity to continue working in the Middle East - Saudi to be exact on a rotational bases (28/28 days), full time employment with current employer.

The thing I’m not looking forward to is, the tax in the UK. therefore like many, I’d like to reduce it to zero. I’ll be in the UK let’s say 5 month of the year so I cannot go down the correct route of 90 days as doing that the tax I’m trying to save will be spent on holidays!

My plan initially in my head was to change my bank accounts in the UAE to Non-Resident when I leave and have my Salary put here in the UAE and only take what I need to the UK when needed.

Am I totally going to get sniffed out by the taxman on this?

Any input most welcomed! Haha.

AGoodman

Re: Moving back to UK but still working abroad...

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:34 pm

Yes, you'll definitely be UK resident so you are going to have to pay UK income tax on your earnings. You may also have to pay UK NI but I don't know enough about that area. You'll get credit for any Saudi tax but there may not of course be any.

Incidentally, as you'll have a home/family in the UK, your day count limit would probably be less than 90 days anyway.

See also Art 15 of the UK/Saudi double tax treaty (cf google) which may allow you to avoid any Saudi tax; unhelpful if there isn't any and (naturally) it just means you'll pay the full amount to the UK.

Return to “Income Tax”