This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxable income in UK or not?

kevincab
Taxable income in UK or not?

Postby kevincab » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:58 am

I have the following question and I do need help, many thanks.

I worked in UK and I left my previous job in the UK in December 2019, resigning in September 2019. I had initially signed a new UK contract to work for the new company in the London office, starting in December 2019. However because of some personal matters I needed to be in Singapore so they agreed to hire me in the Singapore office instead. We executed a new contract to replace the previous UK contract to be hired by the Singapore company, and I started in December 2020 in the Singapore office.

My start-up bonus was then paid a month later in January 2020 while I was still in Singapore. In February, I decided to go back to London. The company then offered a UK contract to transfer me to the London office and offered a new contract with the UK entity and the UK employment officially started in the London office in March 2020.

My question is whether my bonus paid in Singapore is subject to UK tax? I am a non-domicile resident in UK and I understand the foreign income that I did not bring back to UK is not subject to UK tax. But I am not sure whether HMRC will consider my bonus as the foreign income.

darthblingbling

Re: Taxable income in UK or not?

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:59 am

You seem to end up in a lot of unique situations judging by your post history...

Return to “Income Tax”