This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Citizen Self-Employed and Contracting for a US Company

noxley2014
UK Citizen Self-Employed and Contracting for a US Company

Postby noxley2014 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi all

I am looking for some clarity here - I have tried to ask the IRS, but it seems that they don't know the answer to my question.

I've been offered some work with a US company. I am a self-employed contractor based in the UK, and pay UK income tax. All my current clients are UK-based - this would be my first US client. I would be performing this work remotely - all work performed will be performed in the UK, from my home office. I will not be travelling to the US to perform work in any capacity. I am not a US person (I've never even been there) and so am classed as a non-resident alien, and my client will pay me independently of their payroll, directly into my UK bank account. I would be operating for them not as an employee, but as a self-employed, independent contractor. Just a note - I am not a limited company - I am a sole trader.

My question is, under these circumstances, must I pay US income tax, and is my income subject to withholding? If not, is there anything I need to declare to the IRS/ask the Client to declare to the IRS?

Many thanks for your help!

Return to “Income Tax”