This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cash in hand work

James.brown
Cash in hand work

Postby James.brown » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:32 pm

My friend made 3k from a cash in hand job and he put the money into his bank account. He has nothing to prove that he did this job. He says he is going to say the money was piggie bank money that he saved over the years, but i was thinking it’s not a good idea. I said to just say it was a gift that your friends pitched in for or say you sold a painting or something but he says he doesn’t like those ideas.

Any advice on what to put this down for on tax return form?. Would it look suspicious? Could he get in trouble ?

darthblingbling

Re: Cash in hand work

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:57 pm

It is what it is, it's income and taxable. If he knowingly hides it and calls it piggy bank money that's saved up it's tax evasion.

Does he currently file returns?

James.brown

Re: Cash in hand work

Postby James.brown » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:08 am

My friend made 3k from a cash in hand job and he put the money into his bank account. He has nothing to prove that he did this job. He says he is going to say the money was piggie bank money that he saved over the years, but i was thinking it’s not a good idea. I said to just say it was a gift that your friends pitched in for or say you sold a painting or something but he says he doesn’t like those ideas.

Any advice on what to put this down for on tax return form?. Would it look suspicious? Could he get in trouble ?
This year is the first time

Return to “Income Tax”