This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Reclaiming Income Tax Without a National Insurance Number

WellThought
Reclaiming Income Tax Without a National Insurance Number

Postby WellThought » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:51 pm

Hi,

I'm an EU citizen who has worked in the UK over the summer. Neither do I live in the UK anymore nor do I hold a National Insurance Number. I would like to reclaim the income tax I have paid as my taxable income has been below £12,500 for this financial year. How would I go about reclaiming the income tax considering that I don't hold a National Insurance Number? It seems that all the forms I could find on the government's website require me to submit such a National Insurance Number.

Many thanks in advance!

AGoodman

Re: Reclaiming Income Tax Without a National Insurance Number

Postby AGoodman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:10 pm

I'm no expert in this area but it seems likely that, even though you were allowed to start work without one, you should have applied for an NI number as soon as possible.

On that basis, you will probably need to obtain an NI number to recover the tax.

I may be wrong but would be surprised if you can recover without it. You can find out by calling the HMRC helpline:

Telephone:
0300 200 3300

Outside UK:
+44 135 535 9022

Return to “Income Tax”