This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Special Dividend on sale of 50% of business

Ceebeeby
Special Dividend on sale of 50% of business

Postby Ceebeeby » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:27 am

I own tech stock for a company I used to work for. Last year they sold their Enterprise business (50% of total business). The stock price then effectively halved (and with it my portfolio value halved). The company paid a special dividend which equated to the monies made through the sale of the Enterprise business, paid to shareholders on a $x per share held. They positioned this initially as a 'cost of sale' that was non-taxable. But when it was paid out it was declared a 'special dividend which I am told is subject to dividend tax. My question relates to the fact that my portfolio value recouped the 50% drop associated with the 50% sale through the dividend but I'm now being told by my accountant that I need to pay tax on the special dividend. Essentially I'm paying 30+% tax on money that brought my investment (remaining share value & dividend) back to the value my shares were. If I had chosen to sell 50% it would have been subject to CGT but through this process I'm paying tax on monies that were originally mine (in share value). I made no gain through that process (although subsequently the other 50% of the business i still own has seen some growth on shares and of course I'll owe any CGT on those when I sell).

Is it correct that I should pay the dividend tax on monies that effectively gave me back what I already had (in value)? If they had simply replaced share x (Enterprise business sold) with share y (same value in shares in new company) i wouldnt be due to pay tax. So effectively, as I see it I'm paying tax on my own money, where there was no gain.

I obviously want to pay whats due, but i don't understand how this works. Would really appreciate your insight on this.

Many thanks
Cb

Return to “Income Tax”