This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Shares in USD tax in GBP

Ceebeeby
Shares in USD tax in GBP

Postby Ceebeeby » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:33 am

I hold a small amount of dollars in a US brokerage account. They are generally the proceeds from
Sales which I have paid CGT on.

I recently sold some US shares with small gain $1.1k but I'm told we have to apply the fx to the purchase price and sale price and use the resulting GBP gain for UK tax calc purposes. The GBP gain is higher ie £1.4k. As all my transactions were done (bought and sold) using USD, I am effectively paying tax on an inflated value that I never received.

Is this correct? Can it be offset in any way?
Thanks
Cb

pawncob

Re: Shares in USD tax in GBP

Postby pawncob » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:35 pm

Purchases and Sales are converted at rate on the day. Can result in a cuurency gain, but it's still a gain.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”