This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EEA Furnished Letting Expense

WINDSURFER
EEA Furnished Letting Expense

Postby WINDSURFER » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:14 pm

I have an EEA furnished letting & replaced two old single beds at a cost of €850 last tax year. The expenses section of the self assessment return says that the renewals allowance for furniture is no longer available but the capital allowance section seems to say that furniture can be claimed for. Can I claim an allowance ? Thanks for any advice.

bd6759

Re: EEA Furnished Letting Expense

Postby bd6759 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:38 am

That depends if the business qualifies as furnished holiday lettings.

WINDSURFER

Postby WINDSURFER » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:26 am

Thanks for reply. It is a furnished house which is managed by an agent for me during the summer season & I use for up to three months in the winter. Does that qualify as a furnished holiday letting ?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:36 pm

What have you put in your tax returns?

If it’s a FHL, you will have declared the income in the FHL part or the UK property income pages (because EEA counts as UK for FHL purposes).

If it not FHL you will have declared it in the foreign pages.

The FHL criteria is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/furnished-holiday-lettings-hs253-self-assessment-helpsheet

WINDSURFER

Postby WINDSURFER » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:16 pm

I have entered it as a FHL on the return as I have read the criteria & believe that the property qualifies as a FHL in all aspects. I am hoping this means that I can claim the expense in the Other Capital Allowance section.

Ray Coman

Postby Ray Coman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:03 pm

If it qualifies as a Furnished Holiday Lettings https://comanandco.co.uk/lodger-and-guest-house-income#Furnished-holiday-lettings , you will be entitled to capital allowances on furniture, equipment and fixtures. The guidance on the HMRC site is explicit about this... It is on the first page here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/furnished-holiday-lettings-hs253-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs253-furnished-holiday-lettings-2018
Raphael Coman, ACCA, CTA
Tax Accountant

Return to “Income Tax”