This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SelfAssessment UTR

ssafridi
SelfAssessment UTR

Postby ssafridi » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi All,
My first question here.

I moved to UK last year in March and have a salary of £40K pa. Before moving to UK, I was working in the Middle East. I have a home (which is rented @£400pm) in my home country (Asia) and investment in listed shares in Dubai. I want to be taxed in UK on remittance basis.

Now my question here is that although in UK I am paying all tax on my salary via the employer, shall I still get a UTR and file self assessment return? If Yes, then in the UTR application what shall be my answer to their question "Why do you need to complete a tax return?"

Thank you very much.

AdamS93

Re: SelfAssessment UTR

Postby AdamS93 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:09 pm

You would be silly to claim the remittance basis in this scenario. You'd lose your UK personal allowance.

nathan123

Postby nathan123 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:02 pm

On SA1, you need to select " have been getting taxable foreign income in excess of £300 a year"

ssafridi

Postby ssafridi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 pm

You would be silly to claim the remittance basis in this scenario. You'd lose your UK personal allowance.
Hi Adam,
Thanks for the reply? Is the allowance not available then?

ssafridi

Postby ssafridi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:17 pm

Yes Adam, saw it in rules. Thank you very much for pointing out.

Return to “Income Tax”