This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property tax

dhoops97
Property tax

Postby dhoops97 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:39 pm

Hi all,

My father owns a handful of properties and he wants to change the tenancy agreements to make my brother and I the new landlords. His intentions are so that we can gain experience in managing properties and in return the rent would be paid into our joint bank account and we'd pay my dad every month. I assume that HMRC would require my brother and I to pay the tax every year, as we are receiving the rental income. Is this possible and will this be acceptable in HMRCs eyes. If so, my brother is unemployed and I'm nearly in the 40% tax bracket. Can we split the income in a tax efficient way?

maths

Re: Property tax

Postby maths » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:50 pm

The suggestion is really not very sensible.

You and brother do not need to be on the tenancy agreements to learn how to manage properties. Indeed as neither of you are on the legal titles you can't enter into such agreements. In addition receiving rents to then transfers to father makes no sense.

dhoops97

Postby dhoops97 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:38 pm

Thanks you for your reply!

My dad wants to be completely hands off and essentially wants his children to manage the properties, thus changing the tenancy agreements. It might not be the smartest way to hand a property over to your children, but hey... As we will be paid the rental income going forward into a joint account between my brother and I, do you know if HMRC will allow us to split the income in a tax efficient way, as he is at university and I'm working full time.

maths

Postby maths » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:28 pm

The parties to a tenancy agreement are the landlord (ie legal owner of the property) and the tenant (ie person occupying it).

You and your brother therefore need to have legal title to the property to enter into a tenancy agreement and to become entitled to the rental income need to own it beneficially..

It doesn't appear that your father wishes to transfer his beneficial or legal ownership to you/brother?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:10 am

Father can grant a lease to the brothers, allowing them to sub lease to tenants.

Return to “Income Tax”