This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employee and “Self employed”

Dazedandconfused
Employee and “Self employed”

Postby Dazedandconfused » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:06 pm

Hi, first off thank you in advance for any advice.

I am currently in full time employment but am considering reducing my hours to half a week and work the other half with my dad who is a self employed. My issue holding me back is a lack of understanding regarding tax.

My dad does not want to employ anybody as he does not want to deal with providing a pension or manage payroll etc. Therefore I am looking at options to work with him but pay my own tax/NI. If I was to become a contractor and send him weekly/monthly invoices, would that be the best way to proceed? Would this be allowable if I am still employed half the week in my current job? He would be the only person I would be invoicing, would this be acceptable or would HMRC consider me an employee of his?

I’m not looking to pay minimal tax or find a loop hole or anything, just looking to split my career and pay the rightful tax/NI I owe. Any help or advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Return to “Income Tax”