This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

WFH tax relief after self assessment filed

masteroats
WFH tax relief after self assessment filed

Postby masteroats » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:23 pm

Hi,

My job is full time working from home and has been even before Covid. I’ve applied for WFH expense relief for this year but I notice the website allows me to claim back several years.

In previous years I have filled out self assessment forms due to charitable giving (I now release this is not necessary) but have never claimed for this WFH relief.

Can I still submit claims for previous years or have I lost the opportunity due to the fact I didn’t include in previous self assessment declarations?

Thanks

bd6759

Re: WFH tax relief after self assessment filed

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:41 pm

You have until 31 January to amend your 2018-19 tax return.

You can submit a claim for overpayment relief for 2016-17 and 2017-18. You have overpaid tax as a result of a mistake in your tax return - the mistake being you didn’t include all of the expenses you incurred.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/self-assessment-claims-manual/sacm12150

Return to “Income Tax”