This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Marriage Allowance transfer

R1200GS
Marriage Allowance transfer

Postby R1200GS » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:27 pm

Hello and Happy New Year. May I ask what must to some be a slightly daft question?
My situation is as follows: I am retired and not drawing a personal pension nor State pension yet. I am due to start drawing on my personal pension in April this year (2021). My wife currently works and pays Income Tax at the basic rate via PAYE. She is due to retire and start to draw on her personal pension in April this year.

As I do not pay Income Tax, she has for a little while been able to increase her Personal Allowance from £12,500 to £13,750 as part of my Marriage Allowance transfer and as a consequence, my Personal Allowance has reduced to £11,250.

Can someone tell me what happens where both of us have income that is below the Personal Allowance threshold and where, during these times, neither of us would pay income tax? Do we both effectively have a Personal Allowance of £12,500?

I am trying to enter Personal Allowance figures into a spreadsheet that works out our income and expenditure and ascertains when we would have to start paying Income Tax.

Many thanks.

Return to “Income Tax”