This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Spread Betting & CFD Trading Full Time & Income Tax Rules

tax2015
Spread Betting & CFD Trading Full Time & Income Tax Rules

Postby tax2015 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:42 pm

I am hoping someone can answer / confirm the following:

If you trade CFDs full time and earn £150k per annum as a Ltd company, am I right in saying you would pay taxes in the same way as if your Ltd company was undertaking any other general business trade in the UK. In other words you would need to submit your profits and losses to Companies House and HMRC each year in accordance with their rules. Is that correct?

If that is correct - please answer me this - If you also earned £100k per annum in the same year, so you are basically trading CFDs and spreadbetting - would HMRC deem that your Ltd company was your main source of taxable income and the spreadbetting profits are all tax free because they are not your sole source of income.

I haven't seen anyone ask this question. I personally think that this legally should be accepted by HMRC.

Are there any accountants who can confirm that you can both trade CFDs and spreadbets at the same time and keep the spreadbetting profits tax free?

tax2015

Re: Spread Betting & CFD Trading Full Time & Income Tax Rules

Postby tax2015 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:46 pm

If you trade CFDs full time and earn £150k per annum as a Ltd company, am I right in saying you would pay taxes in the same way as if your Ltd company was undertaking any other general business trade in the UK. In other words you would need to submit your profits and losses to Companies House and HMRC each year in accordance with their rules. Is that correct?

If that is correct - please answer me this - If you also additionally earned £100k per annum by spreadbetting in the same year, so you are basically trading CFDs (£150k) and spreadbetting (£100k) - would HMRC deem that your Ltd company was your main source of taxable income and the spreadbetting profits are all tax free because they are not your sole source of income.

I haven't seen anyone ask this question. I personally think that this legally should be accepted by HMRC.

Are there any accountants who can confirm that you can both trade CFDs and spreadbets at the same time and keep the spreadbetting profits tax free?
I cannot find the EDIT button so adding a reply to clarify the question:

If that is correct - please answer me this - If you also earned £100k per annum in the same year, so you are basically trading CFDs and spreadbetting - would HMRC deem that your Ltd company was your main source of taxable income and the spreadbetting profits are all tax free because they are not your sole source of income.

tax2015

Postby tax2015 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:48 pm

3rd time lucky - not sure where the Edit button is on this, Admin please delete the previous two posts, thanks

If that is correct - please answer me this - If you also additionally earned £100k per annum by spreadbetting in the same year, so you are basically trading CFDs (£150k) and spreadbetting (£100k) - would HMRC deem that your Ltd company was your main source of taxable income and the spreadbetting profits are all tax free because they are not your sole source of income.

david66

Postby david66 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:49 am

You may have more luck asking here. Most accountants I have spoken to don't have much experience with traders' finances.

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/uk-taxation-for-futures-and-options-trading.290262/page-4

HezzilFac

Postby HezzilFac » Mon May 24, 2021 5:32 pm

Do you have experience David?

tax2015

Postby tax2015 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:29 pm

Hi, is there any answer yet on this?

To try and simplify what is being asked, here is another breakdown:

You have a Ltd Company (UK based) and you earn £150k a year trading CFDs - you pay your taxes on that CFD based work.

Running alongside your CFD trading, you also trade spreadbets and earn £100k a year, this is not done through your Ltd company and is considered a betting activity. In the UK spreadbetting is tax free hence would HMRC leave you alone to keep your spreadbetting profits each year. Profits which would always be below the CFD Ltd company annual earnings, hence making the CFD trading your main source of full time income.

I would love an answer to this?

Return to “Income Tax”