This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

complex

colin66
complex

Postby colin66 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:02 pm

Hi Guys

I need to understand what I can do with the 97/98 transitional overlap

For 19/20
I have employed income £80,000
But extra SIPP pension contributions made of £25,000

self employed net profits of £3000 ( accounts to 30/4/19) been olky a little higher in last few years

Property income £3000

I have Capital gains ( property) , in 19/20 , and more likley in a few years time , but also have been c/fed a CG loss ( more than this years liability but less than the future one)

From May19 my business effectively closed- but receives about £50pm income... so think I could cease for as from 30/4/19, or wait another year and report a zero profit after trading allowance 20/21 ?

All fairly simple but I have overlap property £30,000 from 97/98
If I apply my overlap relief does it turn into a loss, and what can do with this.

Can I use it to reduce my employment income ( savings a mix 40 and 20%) ? ( if so might it be better to wait until where income less pension contr. will be higher..saving 40%)
Can I use it to partially reduce my CG liability so that bit would be 28%, and leave he CG loss intact for later

Or do I need to use it against s/e profits , and if so can i go back?

thanks for your help

bd6759

Re: complex

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:11 am

Has your business ceased? That has to be determined as a question of fact. That determines when the overlap relief can be used.

Overlap relief is deducted from the profits. It might generate a loss which you could utilise using the usual loss rules.

Return to “Income Tax”