This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Overseas savings account interest

pdc
Overseas savings account interest

Postby pdc » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:54 pm

Would like help as I need to declare my overseas income and received a letter from HMRC to declare overseas assets and income. I am a UK resident. I earn interest in India on saving deposits. The total interest earned is roughly around £4000 per annum. I also earn dividend of £400 per annum. I am on higher rate tax band and my wife is on basic rate tax band. The overseas accounts are held jointly by me and my wife.

1)How will this be split between me and my wife and do I need to declare this income?

2)For how many past years have I to declare?

bd6759

Re: Overseas savings account interest

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:10 pm

1. Both you and your wife need to declare the income. It is deemed to earned equally between you, so 50/50 split.

2. For as many years as you have had this income and have been resident in UK.

pdc

Postby pdc » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:54 am

Spoke to HMRC regarding my letter and the adviser told me that I have to declare my income only when I bring money to UK from overseas. Is this correct? He also informed that this is a generic letter sent to number of people. Any thoughts most welcome. Thank you.

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:32 pm

The HMRC answer might be true if the income is less than £2,000 per taxpayer and the return has the right boxes ticked. Professional advice is recommended as to how to reply to any nudge campaign letter from HMRC.

j_khanum

Postby j_khanum » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:57 pm

Hi,

You have received the worldwide disclosure facility letter - this letter is sent to any individuals who actually do not need to declare any foreign income/gains.

It does depend on your situation.

Are you a UK-resident but with a non-UK domicile status? If so, then you are entitled to the remittance basis and therefore do not have to declare the foreign income provided it remains offshore (i.e. not remitted to the UK). Just to clarify, have you filed tax returns previously and how many years have you been UK-resident.

Otherwise, if you are UK domiciled, then you will have to declare foreign income/gains for each tax year that you have been UK-resident. As the accounts are jointly owned, it will be a 50:50 split. As a higher rate taxpayer, you are entitled to a tax-free savings allowance of £500. You are also entitled to the standard £2,000 dividend tax-free allowance as well.

Regards,

pdc

Postby pdc » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi

This is exactly what I was informed by HMRC. I have been in UK for 17 years. I pay my taxes through PAYE and has never filed a Tax return.

Many thanks

j_khanum

Postby j_khanum » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:33 pm

Hi,

Since you have been resident for 17 years, then the situation can be quite complicated. Has the foreign income been arising on an annual basis for a long time or simply recently. You would have to tick Box 1 and can declare the foreign income via the worldwide disclosure facility or via completing a self-assessment return(s).

Regards,

Return to “Income Tax”