This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How to advise HMRC of charitable giving

masteroats
How to advise HMRC of charitable giving

Postby masteroats » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:27 pm

Hi,

I give a proportion of my wages to charity. Previously I used to fill in a self assessment form each year but HMRC advised me that this isn’t necessary and I only need to inform them of the amount given.

I was expecting them to have a secure message service when I logged onto my account but there doesn’t seem to be one. Is the only way of informing them through the post? If so, am I bound by the same deadlines as self assessment (ie before 31st Jan or face a fine)?

Currently it’s very difficult to contact HMRC so I’m beginning to think it may be easier just to fill out a self assessment as normal.

Thanks

Return to “Income Tax”