This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Offset expenses incurred in P2P lending etc. against income for self-assessment tax?

Bizman
Offset expenses incurred in P2P lending etc. against income for self-assessment tax?

Postby Bizman » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:55 pm

I do UK Peer-to-Peer lending and stockmarket trading full-time and they are my exclusive source of income. I don't have a formally set-up business for this.

I'm just doing my self-assessment return and wondering if the costs I incur for P2P lending - they're not much, but things like the cost of buying and repairing a computer etc. - could be treated as expenses and offset against my income for tax purposes?

Or does P2P lending not allow one to claim expenses?

Also, am I technically a 'Sole Trader' or are there other requirements to qualify for that? (I've studied definitions of a Sole Trader in the UK and seem to qualify.)

Cheers.

Bizman

Re: Offset expenses incurred in P2P lending etc. against income for self-assessment tax?

Postby Bizman » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:52 pm

To be clear, I only invest my own money.

Return to “Income Tax”