This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do I need to Amend Tax Return

CG
Do I need to Amend Tax Return

Postby CG » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:50 am

A self employed client has just amended the dates he received payment for 2 invoices. He had originally dated the payments in May 2019, whereas they were actually received in March 2018. He uses the cash basis.

Can I just make an adjustment for this in his accounts to be declared on his 2020 Tax Return or do I need to adjust his 2018 Tax return?

pawncob

Re: Do I need to Amend Tax Return

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:11 pm

Depends on his year end, and whether they've been treated incorrectly.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

CG

Postby CG » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:34 pm

His year end is 31 March. It was a genuine mistake in inputting the dates.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:13 pm

In preparing the accounts the amounts must have shown on the bank statement, so surely they were included? How is it possible for them to be misdated by 14 months without being picked up?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

CG

Postby CG » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:25 pm

His main business is a partnership but he does some illustration work which he reports his income to me for.

someone

Postby someone » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:39 pm

Here's my worthless opinion...

Provided that the earlier tax return was submitted in good faith at the time then there is no obligation to inform HMRC that you have subsequently found it to be in error.

However, failing to inform HMRC leaves you potentially open to penalties (as I'm presuming tax was underpaid) if they discover it.

If you want to put it right then the old return has to be amended - which will itself trigger interest due at least and possibly penalties but I'd hope these would be zero unless there is a history of incorrect tax returns and underpaid tax.

However, if it's a very small amount of tax at stake then including it on the current tax return is perhaps "the right moral thing to do" and I'd hope that HMRC would be reasonable should they discover the earlier error subsequently.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:14 pm

Here's my worthless opinion...
You should have quit when you were ahead.

You say there is no obligation, but also say that he will incur penalties if he doesn’t. That is a bit contradictory.

If the inaccuracy was neither careless nor deliberate there won’t be a penalty, but it will be treated as careless if he doesn’t inform HMRC - para 3(2) Schedule 24 Fa 2007.

someone

Postby someone » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:02 am

Yes, exactly.

It will be careless if he doesn't inform HMRC and they subsequently discover the mistake

But it will not be criminal if HMRC are not now told - which it potentially would be if the payments were deliberately/knowingly omitted from the return originally.

That's not to say that if HMRC discover it in 10 years time they won't try to claim it was deliberate with all the problems that will entail.

Return to “Income Tax”