This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EIS

Brightonian
EIS

Postby Brightonian » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:38 am

Some years ago, I made an EIS claim for a client. She did not have enough income to benefit from full relief but I claimed the full amount income tax relief on the tax return, not thinking that there was any problem with this. This may have been a very foolish thing to do. At the same time I claimed full deferral relief against a large gain. Now the EIS company has failed and the gain has come back into charge. The loss on the failed company has to be reduced by the EIS relief given and it looks to me that I may have to deduct the tax value of the full amount claimed rather than the amount she actually benefited from. Do others agree? The claim was made for 2012/13 so is well out of time for amendment.

Return to “Income Tax”