This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Shares from employer

someone
Shares from employer

Postby someone » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:30 pm

Hi,

Some of my performance share awards vested in January.

Will my employer have to include this through my p11d and or payroll or do I need to do the "heavy lifting"? (I'm assuming that they are taxed as income but I don't know if it's the value at the award date or the value at the vesting date. I only became unconditionally entitled to them at the moment they vested.)

The value is not particularly large c 2000USD - but there's so many complications to this that I don't really know where to start and I don't really want to start to understand it if my employer should do all the work.

At the point they were awarded the award was for 4200GBP worth of "restricted stock units" (US Equivalent $5521) and half vested in Jan.

(It's also possible that they've already sold enough to cover some/all of my tax liability as the numbers don't add up as I should have got about 26 shares but I've now got the paperwork to show that I own 14. I do recall reading something about how they would sell enough when they vested to pay the tax liability. Nothing on the paperwork I've just got mentions that though.)

It's an American company if it makes a difference but I'm employed though a (large) UK subsiduary.

someone

Re: Shares from employer

Postby someone » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:34 pm

In case anybody else finds this question in the future it appears that my employer has dealt with this through my payslip, although the payslip seems to be a random collection of numbers and it's not obvious how you know which numbers have to be added together to calculate the totals other than finding what numbers actually add up to the correct value. (The problem of finding a subset of items that add up to a particular value is called the Knapsack problem - and its an open problem as to whether there's any easy way to do it in general)

Other than my usual entries I see:

Under deductions
Blk RS Whld 1320.41-

Under Other Information
Rst Stk Blk V 2742.38

YTD TxblePay is the sum of last months YTD TxblePay plus all but one[1] items in the "Payments column" plus the 2742.38 from the Other Information.
YTD Tax paid is the sum of last months YTD TaxPaid plus the Tax Paid this month[2]

I think this all means that 1320.41 of the vesting shares were immediately sold and paid to HMRC.

[1] There is a deduction for travel insurance which reduces my pay but doesn't reduce my taxable pay. No idea why this appears in Payments rather than deductions.

[2] Tax Paid is higher than previous months by an amount that would match earning an extra 2700 this month.

Return to “Income Tax”